Wednesday, December 18, 2013

To the Indecisive Bride

My dearest indecisive bride,

I don't mind.

I don't mind that we have gone from bold to italic and back to bold again. I don't mind that it took us 19 tries to get the right shade of coral. I don't mind that you are being simultaneously picky and ambiguous, and have filled my inbox with changes and questions, some of which were sent at 2:00 AM in a haze of slurred words.

I don't mind.

I know that you are currently in an all consuming battle with stress, exhaustion and excitement, being fueled by a cocktail of coffee, Air Borne and pure determination. I know that you have dreamt about this experience since you were young, and I know that in some ways the difficult moments have taken you inexplicably by surprise.

I don't mind.

I know that if you hear one more well-wishing advice-giving do-gooder explain to you that the details ultimately don't matter, that you think your head may explode. I know that the last thing you need from me is to be rushed as you try desperately to keep up with a to-do list that is growing faster than your guest list.

I don't mind.

My dearest and very particular bride, I will likely not be attending your wedding, or even sending you a gift. I probably won't ever know you after you say your vows. I really don't know much about you at all, other than that your first dance will make your daddy cry and that your groom will forget to breathe when you walk down the aisle. But these are the most important things I could possibly know. These are the things that allow me to say, without a doubt, that even in the face of rewrites, color changes and printing questions...

I don't mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment