Friday, November 15, 2013

B is for Bon Voyage: London (the Globe theater)

Quick! Who wrote this famous line: "A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet"? Whilst in London, the BHO and I dropped by the Globe Theater, a re-creation of the very theater that Shakespeare used for his productions back when he was trotting around the earth.





The theater is an exact duplicate of the one that existed prior to its unfortunate burning in 1613- when a canon caught the thatch roof on fire and burned the theater to the ground. It features the same materials, techniques and features that the theater would have in Shakespeare's day- including gold inlays on the stage and a "standing yard" for customers who want to pay less and stand for their viewing of the plays.





















The theater was very fun to walk around- I'm probably slightly more of a shakespeare fan than the average person my age- due largely to a production of "Much Ado About Nothing" I participated in in high school that set the play in Las Vegas. Hey look, I even found a photo for you. Which one am I?



After we wrapped up at the Globe, we walked next door to the Tate Modern Museum.



You guys... I hated it. You know that I'm not cultured enough to enjoy modern art, so this probably doesn't surprise you... but I absolutely HATED it. Fortunately, the BHO wasn't impressed either, so we excused ourselves a bit early to go hunt down some chow and drop by the Courtauld Museum (one that I would very much enjoy).

No comments:

Post a Comment