Tuesday, January 15, 2013

10 Ways to Beat the January Blues

Do you guys suffer from post-holiday depression? I have always somewhat fallen victim to the "crud-Christmas-is-over-and-won't-be-back-for-another-year-and-wow-that-was-a-lot-of-money-to-spend-on-gifts" hangover, ever since I was a wee little person. Now, however, with Christmas being one of the busiest times for my business, January offers a whole new sort of emptiness in addition to the normal post-Christmas blues, which is punctuated by a drastic decrease in sales coupled with a dramatic increase in my down time. You know that my having downtime can't be good. Today I am putting my free time to use to ponder 10 ways to keep myself from sliding into a irreversible January depression. One can only hope that I can think of 10 things.

1). Eat something adventurous.
Yesterday, the smartest and I went out to Indian food with some newish friends. I have never eaten Indian food before, and it was quite tasty. I didn't really know what was IN anything I consumed, and I was quite bright enough not to ask, lest that ruin the experience. I did, however, skip the one labelled "goat". Because I'm depressed... but not THAT depressed.

2). Have a movie marathon.
The med student and the tallest suggested we have a Lord of the Rings blu-ray extended edition marathon over a series of weekends. I am a total Lord of the Rings junkie, so this made me pretty excited. We even joked (sort of joked, sort of pondered) about cooking Hobbit-y foods for the next showing.

3). Get a puppy.
Now, to be very upfront, I should tell you that the puppy both alleviates and adds to my January funk, depending on the day. She is an excellent little time-suck, and can be quite diverting (which is the nice way of saying distracting), but can also do weird things like randomly attempt to sever my hand from my arm while I type.






































4). Try a new recipe.
I am thinking of trying this one:



5). Get overly excited about an upcoming holiday. 
I generally like Valentines day more in theory than in actual practice, but this could be the year that I get my act together and make all 50 of the heart shaped foods that I pinned last year. Or one. Maybe I should shoot for one. Perhaps this one:






































6). Get crafty. 
With all of the post-Christmas sales and quasi-ugly Christmas gifts, I'm sure we can all come up with something that could use a little DIY magic. This mama made hats out of her sweaters for her little munchkin.






































7). Celebrate the return of your favorite TV shows. 
I may or may not be joyously welcoming Bunheads and Pretty Little Liars back to my weekday evenings.

8). Organize things. 
I am taking baby-bites out of various organizational projects around the house. So far I have tackled the coat closet, the linen closet, and the guest room.






































9). Change your alarm clock ringtone. 
The smartest and I are now waking up to "Wake me up before you Go Go".

10). Read something new. Or old. 
I'm thinking I might make another pass at Alice in Wonderland, now that I am no longer 10 years old and easily distracted. Well- at least one of those things is true.

What are you guys doing to beat the winter blues?

Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment